Don't Believe Everything You See on Social Media - The Case of the Tilapia's Tarnished Reputation


Images and video on social media can be used to persuade - big time. If you don't believe me, consider the Tilapia scare memes circulating on Facebook.

This is just the sort of image that I usually scroll right past on my way to other more "important" braingum - recent travel posts from friends, pictures of college friends' babies who aren't very cute, posts about players who were traded from my favorite sports team. I stopped and read this meme, though, because a family member posted it, and commenters were running amok.

When I saw a family member post this, I felt compelled to read the comments. People were reading and reacting to the meme and treating it as fact. This surprised me, because I considered it a pretty poor photoshop job that seemed to contain some pretty dubious, unsupported claims. I felt an itch I just had to scratch. My critical evaluative reflex kicked in, and I decided to enter the conversation.






I advised the original poster thusly:


I felt satisfied that I had put the rogue poster in her place, that I had used my superior intellect and years of communications education and practice thinking critically about the information on the Internet to "school" this person. I soon realized, however, that this compulsive need to debunk her post was a knee-jerk reaction. I wondered about the source of my own impulse to even comment at all. Should I have just left it alone?

I was soon soothed, however, when the family member seemed to take my commentary rather well. She was online when I posted my rebuttal and commented back right away. I think she saw the value in what I was trying to get across. I did some further research and found that the Washington Post had done a story about this ill-reputed fish, so I shared that, too.

The next posts from her indicated that she enjoyed the article and understood what I was trying to get across. "...But it's so much easier just to post something," she said. I couldn't disagree with that. It is easy to post something without doing the background legwork.

This, to me, is why it's more important than ever to teach these evaluative skills to students. If the next generation of kids leave school and enter the world with critical eyes for stuff like this, they won't be duped into believing unsupported information just because it's scary-looking and accompanied by pictures. They won't have to live their lives afraid of lies and half truths that they picked up on the Internet. This might seem like a small thing, but people not eating Tilapia
is one thing - people believing bigger hoaxes without skepticism can be downright dangerous.



Comments

  1. Zack,
    This was a great example of how you used your critical thinking and evaluated the situation. I see things like the Tilapia meme posted to Facebook often and I can't believe what some people think is truth.

    Recently my friend commented on a photo of Vietnam Veterans. I think the caption said something along the lines of "I bet these Vietnam Vet's cant get any likes" or something similar. I only saw it because my friend commented, she said, "I think that's a photo from Tropic Thunder, the movie with Robert Downy Jr." Sure enough it was! I went through and read comments after comments of people talking about this picture. I didn't comment but again it shows how little we even bother to fact check anything we see online now. What you did with the tilapia is a perfect example to show students how to evaluate what they are reading online and make good informed choices. Great post!
    PS. I found the picture through a quick Google Search. Here you go:
    https://goo.gl/r6Qpmv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel! I've seen that Tropic Thunder post, too! When I saw it I immediately put my palm to my face. The other one I've seen floating around is one that says something like "click if you love Jesus" - the only problem is that the image, which looks a lot like Jesus, is actually Ewan McGregor as Obiwan Kenobi in Star Wars. Again, face palm.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the Jesus one but I am definitely going to Google it. Did you hear about the Declaration of Independence on NPR's Twitter? When I read about it, it made me think of this blog post. Some people!

      Delete
    3. Holy cow. I hadn't heard about this until Hannah told me about it late last night. I can't believe how trigger happy people are with their negative and ignorant comments! I think the fact that people read into the tweets speaks volumes about the meaning people ascribe to the words "tyrant" - the contemporary context of this centuries-old document proves that it is indeed a living document! I find this whole thing pretty amazing.

      Delete
  2. Your post is spot on. It drives me crazy seeing some of the things that get posted and treated as fact online. There is so much out there that falls under this category. What do you think Sherry Turkle would say about this type of situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's another good one I saw on FB today. Apparently aluminum foil can kill you:
      http://besthealthyguide.com/warning-use-aluminum-foil-stop/

      Delete

Post a Comment