Week 3 - Situated Cognition

Yours truly paddling the Ammer River in Southern Bavaria
I can see why Brown, Collins and Duguid's Situated Cognition and the Culture of Learning is a seminal text for anyone studying the ways people learn. This paper, from 1989 makes a lot of sense to me. I imagine I'll hold onto this one so that I can refer to it in the future.

The authors explain that learning is situated, or contextually dependent and that students learn best when the skills and knowledge they're presented with are learned within the context of that learning culture. The acquisition of knowledge is compared to learning the use of tools. Practitioners of various crafts make use of tools specific to their trades. Students who want to learn to use these tools should do so by using them correctly and within their appropriate contexts. The authors state that most learning that happens in schools is set in and appropriate for the culture of school. But real life isn't like school. In order for students to retain what they've learned, they need to experience something that's as close to an authntic experience as possible. If they're learning to write poetry, they should learn the culture and language of poets. If they're learning a foreign language, they should immerse themselves in that foreign culture. If they're learning to fix cars, they should take on the language of auto mechanics. This is not to say that all students will become poets or mechanics; it just means that learning should not happen in a meaningless vacuum. Activity, concept and culture are all linked and affect the way students learn.

While I read this I thought instantly of a skillset that is impossible to learn without immersion. It has to be learned in situ. That is the set of skills of the whitewater kayaker. One can learn the language of this activity by reading. A novice can look to books to find out what words like eddy, boof, hole, ferry, strainer, brace, tongue, hydraulic, and swim mean to the boater community, but the only way to truly understand this sport is to become a part of the culture, as I did while I was living overseas. When I joined the Schweinfurter Kanu-verein, not only did I join a group of people with a similar interest in recreation, but I had joined a German club in my host community. I had to take words and terms I'd learned boating in the States and think about them within a foreign language and setting. When I got out onto the water, this learning was authentic in that it kept me in my boat and above water.

The main reason that learning to become a whitewater boater is situated, or context specific, is that many of the concepts one must learn need to be practiced in moving water. To be as safe as possible, a boater needs to know how to speed through a rapid, then know where to look for a safe patch of still water to "eddy out". Moving safely and maintaining composure in rapids means knowing what to look for - low hanging trees, dangerous undercut rocks, boat-trapping holes and other hazards, and there is no way to know how to deal with them unless you've been flipped out of your boat a few times. There are telltale signs to alert the kayaker to all sorts of hazards on the water, and one has to know how to look for these signs. Since the look of a rushing river varies from location to location, and even at different times of day on a single river, this is something one cannot study by reading about it in books. It has to be experienced. It takes an immersion experience. All of this came to mind when I read Situated Cognition. I know that there are some things that just can't be learned in a classroom.

Comments

  1. Love this post Zack! This makes me think of the time that I first learned how to sail a catamaran. When the teacher would go over the technique, I had all of the right answers, but then when it came time to actually do it, I had difficulty. I wish we could've learned while doing it- situated learning... and then I'm sure I would have learned it much more quickly and thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zack! I like that you talked about joining the boating community - learning things to be good at an activity is great, but it really matters when you are surrounded by others. You can communicate and relate to them, and learn from them as they learn from you and your varied experiences.

    I technically know how to drive stick shift - I know the terminology and understand how the system works. But put me in a car that requires it and we will not get very far very fast. Someday I want to learn, but I really don't have a need to at the moment. Just like there's really no need for me to be using cursive, but I spent lots of time learning how to in 3rd grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach, your white water kayaking analogy is spot on. Many of your listed structures withing the context of kayaking: eddy, boof, hole, ferry, strainer, brace, tongue, hydraulic, and swim and the interaction of those concepts/processes are unknown to me. I would have to be encultured into the boating community for sure to relate to them and understand how these tools are used. You would need to to play the role of a cognitive apprentice for me to learn how to kayak. Upon graduating from college many moons ago, one of my roommates invited me to go white river rafting on the Youghiogheny River in PA. I believe we rafted on the lower section which a Class III-IV/intermediate level. It was the most terrifying thing that I have ever done, and without wearing a helmet that they did not offer back in 1991, it was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example! This article/paper resonated with me and I'll be keeping it for reference too. Over the years I've come to learn that I am more of a kinesthetic learner, which didn't bode well for me when I sat in a chair all day in school. Anything that was hands on I did well in. It is true that there are some things that can't be learned in a classroom and we are to get as 'authentic' as we can but how do you see yourself trying to bridge that gap when it comes to your teaching?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment