Week 4 - Mind in Society

What did I learn? I learned a lot. Vygotsky's Mind in Society was a challenge, but there was a lot to take away from it.

First, symbols are tools that enable cognition. This separates us from even the highest functioning of our ape relatives.

Internalization is the process whereby learners come to know symbols and begin appropriating them. Children engage in what Piaget called egocentric speech. They talk to themselves to aid in solving problems. As they grow, this process becomes internal, and they no longer need to talk through problems. They can conceptualize and visualize things that lie outside their immediate field.

Contrary to previous models held by psychologists, development happens gradually and in stages with some types of development overlapping others. Students, as they grow and learn, progress through proportional thinking, operational thinking, pre-conceptual thinking, formal operations, and if they advance far enough, complex thinking.

The zone of proximal development is the difference between what children can learn on their own and what they can achieve with help or modeling.

Play is learning. When children play, they are discovering meaning in their world. They are assigning rules, and they are learning. They are satisfying their unsatisfied desires and needs and making sense of their world. Play is essential to children's' development.

All of this is critical to professionals designing learning experiences. It means that collaboration, not isolation, is the best way for children to advance from basic to complex understanding of skills and concepts. It means that play should be incorporated into learning designs where appropriate and as much as is possible. It means that teachers can expose students to skills and concepts that are beyond their means, as long as more advanced mentors and peers are there to give guidance. As Vygotsky says, the skills that are in a student's zone of proximal development will become his fully assimilated skills later. I particularly loved what Vygotsky says in chapter six: "A child's greatest achievements are possible in play, achievements that tomorrow will become her basic level of real action and morality."

I see all of this as particularly relevant to people like me, in museum education. People who work in museums can sometimes be blind to the benefits of "gameification". They fear that it will water down content or lead to lack of respect for serious subjects, like military history. I see things a different way. I see an opportunity to understand the way kids learn best, and to incorporate play and collaboration into museum exhibits and experiences. This will ensure that students come away with some real learning about the serious subjects that previously seemed boring or dry, and it will ensure that our great history survives the dull treatment it gets in school lectures, tests and textbooks.

Comments

  1. This is great Zack! You make me want to come visit your museum and experience play based activities. Or bring my kids or students on a field trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll have to wait, though! The Army museum won't be built until 2019. There's a lot to do between now and then to make sure it's an excellent 21st-century learning space!

      Delete
  2. Hey Zack! You're right in that play is so important. Your museum is going to be such an engaging place for kiddos (and us not-so-kiddos) in a few years. Like you mentioned, I used to worry that by using new 'gimmicks' and technologies, that students wouldn't get the actual information that they need to. I felt like I was just bribing them by using cool stuff into thinking I was a fun teacher, when in reality it's good for both myself and all of them to switch things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! I went to click "like" and then realized that blogger doesn't have a "like" button!

      Delete
  3. Zack, this is such a concise summary of your understanding of Vygotsky. I agree with all of the points that you made regarding implications for an educator's practice. I do think educators need to bring learning back to life through play, and socialization/collaboration is a must. I know that for me, I can do the reading to build background knowledge, but it isn't until we do the constructing activity in class and have the opportunity to discuss it, do I fully gain meaning and understanding of the material. What spoke to me the most was your comment, "that teachers can expose students to skills and concepts that are beyond their means, as long as more advanced mentors and peers are there to give guidance". I experienced this a lot in the nine years that I worked as a literacy trainer/facilitator for the county. It used to frustrate me to no end when a teacher was reluctant, or out-right refused, to launch writer's workshop because of their belief that "the students can't do it" or "they aren't ready for it." Students as young as age two and three convey meaning through their scribbles or attempts at making symbols. I have even come across and read many wordless picture books in my 25 years in education. One can tell a story through drawing- he/she does not have to be able to write, or even make attempts at labeling. The same goes for reading. We can "Read the pictures!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zack - I think of the museums I went to as a kid and the ones that stuck out are the ones that had interactive displays, the ones were we could touch and 'play'. There are a lot more of interactive museums now than when I was a wee lad and I like the fact you're willing to fight against the perception that 'child's play' shows a lack of respect for the seriousness of the content you're working with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment