Week 6 - Affordance Analysis

I don’t know if it’s my recent decision to go off coffee, the exhaustion of my heavier than normal load at work, but when I approached “Affordance Analysis - Matching Learning Tasks with Learning Technologies” I found it completely inscrutable. I sat, in the silent stacks at the library, hoping that somehow my highlighter would magically sense what was important in this piece. I found it really challenging, and silently hoped that this impenetrable prose was not to be the academic norm. I remember the dismay with which my British Literature students approached Milton’s Paradise Lost and suddenly completely understood how they’d felt.
I put “Affordance Analysis” away for a few days and came back to it at a different place and time of day. When I gave it another chance, eventually some sense began to emerge. I still found it difficult to parse , but I was starting to make some sense of it. What I understand was that Mr. Bower was simply trying to present a method for matching tech tools to tasks that might produce learning gains. I’m not sure I understood all of it, saw the point to some of his made up terms (words like synchronous-ability seemed particularly silly to me) or saw the point of his chart at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I saw the usefulness (or useful-ability) of his method. Even before I was a DooDLS student I’d wondered about the best way to choose technologies for the classroom.
Our exploration play with the Ozobots helped me understand this. Educators should consider thoughtfully and carefully when choosing tech tools for the classroom. A cart of laptops that never gets unlocked does nobody any good. Gizmos and robots twinkle and dart about, and seem really cool, but might not have any real value in the classroom. Bowers’s article explains that there is a real method we can use to help us choose the “right and wrong” tools for our classrooms and learning environments. We can consider first what authentic problems we want our students to tackle, and what tasks will help them do it. Next, we can consider the skills and knowledge they’ll need to get these tasks done. Then we can begin to consider what tools are well suited to these tasks. The right match might be as simple as a marker and some poster board. It might be as low tech as a plastic model of the nervous system. An iPad is only as useful as the learning task that’s accurately matched with it, and Bower’s article gives us a way to make that match.

Comments

  1. Yes, I was in that same boat. This took some time to get my head around. It's easy to get caught up in the newest gadget and gimmicktry (hey, we can make up words too!) of it, but it really comes down to setting the learning goal first and then using the affordance analysis to determine what technology is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it through the article eventually! The part that helped me grasp the concept was the charts listing all of the "-ability" words and defined them. I like your words "an iPad is only as useful as the learning task that's accurately matched with it." It's so true but I get the impression so many people are obsessed with having the latest, greatest "gimmicktry" that they forget that poster board and markers can still be a very useful form of technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tables of the -ability affordances helped me as well. I even made my own table when completing the affordance analysis homework-(even if I did it incorrectly and began with the technology to be used and worked backwards to the learning goal.) Now I know to begin with the learning goal first!

      Delete
  3. I often still feel muddled about the new design principle after completing our reading. I guess that is why good lesson design includes more that just background building activities. In class we do constructing activities with an authentic problem to solve and "Walla!" Everything becomes much clearer. The activity where we took the different learning goals and matched them up to appropriate technology was extremely helpful. Yes, sometimes paper and pencil still can be the right tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zack! The activity with the Ozbots helped me too. I was able to see the connections of everything we had read and how to implement in reality. It just goes to show that hands on is always better to drive a concept home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment